makes 1 – 9 inch quiche
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces, reserve a few longer pieces for decoration
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- unbaked pie shells
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded Swiss or other cheese of your choice.
Directions Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Steam or roast asparagus until tender but still firm, cool. Brush pie shell with beaten egg white. Sprinkle crumbled bacon and chopped asparagus into pie shells. In a bowl, beat together eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese over bacon and asparagus. Pour egg mixture on top of cheese. Bake uncovered in preheated oven until firm, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before serving.